Establishing your presence in the community as an author is an essential step to gaining recognition and building a loyal reader base. When I first became serious about getting published, one of the first pieces of advice I received was to start blogging and connect with other writers. I wasn’t afraid of this recommendation. In fact, pregnant and all, started and maintained a blog, and attended a writing critique group. But what about taking it a step further and becoming “known” in your community? Building a platform takes a little more work, but it is certainly possible and has lasting benefits.
Building a platform as an author is a strategic way to establish your presence in the community and expand your reach beyond your immediate circle. While starting a blog and connecting with fellow writers are important steps, here are a few additional tips to take it a step further and become “known” in your community:
- Engage with local literary events: Attend book signings, writing workshops, and literary festivals in your area. Introduce yourself to organizers, fellow authors, and readers. Active participation in these events can help you network and gain visibility.
- Collaborate with other authors: Seek opportunities to collaborate with authors in your genre. This could involve co-writing a short story, hosting joint events, or even organizing panel discussions. By partnering with other writers, you can leverage each other’s networks and widen your audience.
- Leverage social media: Create compelling content on social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or even TikTok. Share snippets of your writing, behind-the-scenes glimpses into your creative process, and interact with your audience. Focus on building genuine connections and engaging with your followers.
- Seek speaking engagements: Offer to speak at local libraries, schools, or writing groups. Share your writing journey, give advice, and inspire others who are passionate about writing. Speaking engagements can help establish your authority as an author and attract potential readers.
- Guest blog and podcast appearances: Reach out to popular blogs or podcasts related to your genre and inquire about guest appearances. Share your insights, experiences, and writing tips with their audience. This can help expand your reach and introduce your work to a new audience.
- Consider volunteering or teaching writing workshops in your community: This will give you the opportunity to connect with aspiring writers and share your knowledge and expertise. It will also help you establish yourself as a respected voice in the writing community.
Remember, building a platform takes time and consistent effort. Be patient, stay authentic, and be open to new opportunities. With dedication, you can establish your presence in the community and create a meaningful connection with your readers. Good luck on your author journey!
Authors, have you tried any of these strategies? Comment below!